Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

What cases does NMILC take?

Our primary focus is to make high-quality legal representation accessible. We prioritize individuals at risk of deportation and those who do not have access to services elsewhere. The types of cases that we take include:

  • Removal Proceedings: We represent individuals from New Mexico who are in removal proceedings at the immigration court in El Paso.
  • Survivors of domestic violence or other crimes: We assist individuals who are survivors of domestic violence or other crimes in order to help them remain in the United States. This includes individuals who are eligible for protection under the Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) because they faced abuse by their U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse, parent, or adult child; survivors of crime who have been helpful to law enforcement who may be eligible for a U Visa; and survivors of human trafficking who are eligible for a T Visa.
  • Abandoned, abused, or neglected youth: We represent youth who have been abandoned, neglected, or abused by one or both of their parents in their filing for Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS).
  • Asylum: We assist individuals who are afraid to return to their home country because they face persecution or torture and who may be eligible for asylum in the El Paso or Denver immigration court circuits.
  • Citizenship: We assist Legal Permanent Residents with their citizenship applications at our Wednesday Workshops and at our quarterly citizenship and civic engagement fairs in partnership with other community organizations.
  • Immigrant Detention: We are currently partnering with the Santa Fe Dreamers Project to provide free legal information sessions at the Cibola County Correctional Center. Individuals detained at Cibola can sign up for an orientation session on Tuesdays and Thursdays by signing up with their pod supervisor. We are not currently able to assist individuals detained in other locations.

What types of cases does NMILC not take?

We are not able to assist individuals who are seeking help with:

  • Employment based cases;
  • Non-immigrant visas such as tourist or student visas; or
  • Family-based petitions

Even if we are not able to handle your case, our staff can provide you with a referral to another legal service provider. Please call our office at (505) 247-1023 during business hours for more information.

Am I eligible for NMILC's services?

In order to be eligible to receive services from NMILC, you must meet the following requirements:

  • Have a type of case that NMILC handles, as explained above;
  • Be a resident of New Mexico; and
  • Your income must be at or below 200% of the federal poverty guidelines.

How do I know if I qualify?

If you are not sure if you meet the requirements to receive our services, please call our open phone hours on Fridays from 11am to 1pm to speak with an attorney: (505) 247-1023.



Every Friday: 11 am - 1pm. Call our office at (505) 247-1023 to speak to an immigration attorney.

More information


We hold weekly workshops at HELP NM every Wednesday from 1:00 - 4:30pm.

More information
Have an immigration question?


We hold free, open attorney phone hours every Friday from 11 am to 1 pm for anyone that has questions regarding immigration.


11 am - 1 pm

Call: (505) 247-1023


We Can Help